Thursday, July 21, 2011

last night's dinner: couscous salad


Feeding my sweet babe has become a challenge recently (since his refusal to eat anything pureed) so I'm always looking for a simple meal that is kid friendly.

I came upon this couscous recipe and improvised a bit since I didn't have a few of the ingredients.


Greek Isreali Couscous Salad
**recipe from Weelicious

1 1/2 cups Israeli Couscous
3 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
2 cups Water
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Persian Cucumbers, seeded & diced (or 1 cucumber)
1 Large Tomato, seeded & diced
1 tbsp Parsley, chopped

1. Place the couscous and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pot and toast for 5 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add water and bring to a boil then simmer for 12 minutes.
3. Remove to a bowl and cool.
4. Pour in the remaining ingredients plus the 2 remaining tbsps of olive oil and stir to combine.
5. Serve.

NOTES:
1. I used Canadian whole wheat toasted couscous.
2. I only had about half a cucumber, so I added some corn to the salad.
3. I omitted the salt and parsley (didn't have fresh parsley on hand. This is why a small herb garden would be awesome).
4. Didn't have feta cheese (yum!) so I used grated parmesan cheese.

It turned out to be tasty, and the little G monkey actually ate about half his bowl! My dad and I added some tilapia to the dish, which made it even yummier. G didn't like the fish, so he just ate the couscous. But we're making progress! and it's another meal option for the little babe.

If you have any kid friendly recipes you'd like to share, leave me a comment! I'm always on the search for yummy food for the little one (and us parents too!).

xo,
logan

No comments: